Monday, September 29, 2008

An A+ Adventure

Nate took the kids to Priest Lake - I wasn't able to go because I had a previous committment. This particular tree is one of the reasons they decided to make the trek further North. The legend of the "Shoe Tree" is that you have to put your own pair of shoes on and make a wish. There are no signs to mark where the tree is and Nate said it was pretty hard to find, but they were bound and determined to find it's location. As you can tell by Denali's reaction when they finally found it - she was thrilled beyond words, and Malachi was embarassed by her reaction.

Shoes of all shapes, sorts and sizes; some dated as far as the early 80's. There were love notes, a scout hat (Mal wanted to take for his own), a Marine boot dedicated to a loved one in Iraq; which is close to our hearts - love & appreciate you Jordan! - and a plate to commerate someones engagement from 1997. These were just a few of the spotted treasures the kids discovered.

This grove of ancient Cedars is only about 20 miles from the Canadian border. Trees here are anywhere from 800 to 2000 years old, the trunks are 4' to 12' in diameter. Not quite the size of the Redwoods but close. Here's an interesting fact: the campground next to this grove is named the Stagger Inn Campgroud. It is so named because of a fire in 1926 that destroyed several of the trees in this forest. The fire fighters having to hike 15 miles in to their retreat after fighting fires all day, they would litterally "stagger" into the campground exhausted - therefore earning it's name.

The trail to the grove of trees runs parallel with a creek that has several scenic waterfalls along the way. This one isn't that wonderful, but easily accesible. Nate was searching for a specific waterfall that they never ran into, and when they returned home he got back on the internet and realized they were only 10 miles away from it - next time babe.

The kids were fascinated with the toadstools that I hear were everywhere.

One of the mighty cedars. This tree was about 150' tall, the kids were pretty sure that if they clasped hands they'd be able to reach around this tree - pretty awe inspiring.


You can't see it, but to the far left of this picture there is a waterfall. My son was trying to talk his father into letting him jump off.

There were sign all over the place warning visitors of Bears, Lynx, and Caribou. The Caribou would be ok, but I wouldn't want to cross paths with the other two! The kids were on the lookout for being attacked by bears. Chloe was especially scared of seeing a Lynx face to face, she constantly needed reassurance from Nate.

Nate is always making up stories to entertain the kids, he has one story involving an Indian Princess named Falling Rock. This is how I believe it goes: An Indian girl is in love with a tribesman named Wounded Buffalo (? whatever), her dad the big Chief wants her to marry a warrior named Fights With A Stone Fist. She is upset with her father over the situation and runs away never to be seen again. The Chief in his anguish and despair posts signs to watch for Falling Rock. Denali was pretty sure that they were going to be able to find her after seeing this sign, and expressed how upset she was that they didn't even get to see her.

Priest Lake - Idaho's crown jewel

5 comments:

paula said...

WOW! Girl-you live in such a beautiful place! Those trees were amazing. You can feel the energy off them just by looking at the pictures! I must go to this place....

Kelsi said...

It is so nice to be able to see pictures of my sweet little nieces and nephew. I miss you all so much. I always thought northern Idaho was gorgeous! I hope you all are liking it there.

Meredith said...

What a cool adventure! It's awesome you guys are always going and doing things. Give the kids a hug from me.

Unknown said...

how fun. I have never heard about that tree. I love the story about falling rocks. Quite entertaining.

Lorinda said...

Gosh, having grown up in north Idaho, I hate to say I've never heard of the Shoe Tree. It's pretty cool though. I've heard the story of the Falling Rock sign, but couldn't remember the details. Looks like you guys are having fun, wish we could be there with you!