We're trying to squeeze every last drop out of summer that we can, and around here - that means we hike. This time we went to Farragut State Park, it's only about 30 min from our home. We went with our good friends the McReynolds. This park is situated at the foot of the Coeur d'Alene Mtns. and at 4,000 acres, it's one of Idaho's largest state parks. It's located on the banks of Lake Pend Oreille (the states largest lake). Lake Pend Oreille has a rich history; once being the second largest U.S. naval training center in the world during World War II, with a surface area of 94,600 acres.
Part of the gain included scaling the moutain side! At one point we couldn't decide if we wanted to try and make it to the top or just go back down. We sent Dax ahead at one point to see exactly how far we'd have to climb to make it to the top. The kids were troopers and didn't even complain (it was mostly the moms).
Mal made it to the top with no problems, I wish I could bottle his energy.
The view from on high, a 2375' elevation.
We only had one casualty, a teeny tiny scratch to the thigh. You'd think he needed stitches by the way he carried on about it - like a little girl.
The trail signs were totally confusing! Even with a map we still had trouble finding our way around. Some of the trees on this trail had spray painted arrows showing you which way to go.
After our hike, we made our way down to the lake to play for a bit.
Full moon on the rise
At the end of our day. We were all tired and ready to go home.
4 comments:
I have been to this place and I "fuggotaboutit" until I saw this post. Jay D's grandpa actually spent time at this place way back when it was a military base of some sort. I love the last pic of the kids....
Good for you guys keeping the summer going- by the weekend I just want a nap :)
wow you make Coeur d"Alene much more exciting than I ever knew it was. Someday when we come back you will have to help us find such adventures.
You guys go on some fun adventures to some pretty places!!. By the way, I believe, if my memory is serving me right, it is your BIRTHDAY as I am writing this to you-Sept 23 right?!!!. Happy, Happy Birthday. I hope you are having a great day!!
Post a Comment