The 19th Annual Mayor's Awards to Youth
Chloe is obviously thrilled to be here.
She went to a charter school for her eight grade year. Her teachers loved her! Not hard to imagine, because she's a pretty good kid. They nominated her for this award because of her leadership in their school.
This is Barbara Morgan - a NASA astronaut. She told a story I will never forget, ever. It was so cool. I will try and paraphrase it.
When you watch the weather report, they will announce "isolated thunder storms." When she was on a mission in outer space, she could see thunder storms across Africa. She noticed how once the lightening would strike, it set off a series of lightening all across the African continent - one right after another. Not an isolated thunder storm. She likened the lightening bouncing off each other to kids who can set in motion a kindness or leadership, and it will continue to spread and bounce off of one another. Does that make sense?
Getting ready to present the awards
The Mayors of Ada Co. (Boise, Eagle, Garden City, Kuna, Meridian and Star) invite teachers to nominate students who have shown strength of character by overcoming hardships and obstacles, demonstrating compassion and serving their communities. These students day after day make good decisions, support their peers and overcome challenges. This award recognizes the inspiring efferts of these youth.
I'm so proud of you Chloe and the wonderful young woman you are.







1 comment:
Way to go Chloe! That's so cool.
P.s. I've been trying to leave comments on all these and I can't read the blasted word verification.
Post a Comment