It was a nice day so Nate and I had decided to take Denali downtown to play at the park. We then walked across the beach over to Independence Point. We noticed something we hadn't seen before and heard Denali let out a squeal of delight, "It's Mudgy & Millie!" We both asked who's that? She then told us that her teacher had just read them a book about Mudgy the Moose and Millie the Mouse. Wanting to find out what she knew, Nate researched the book - found out that it was written by a Coeur d'Alene native - , purchased it and planned a family outing.
Mudgy & Millie is a book about a Moose and a Mouse who are friends and they decide to play hide and seek. The Moose is "it" first, and while he counts for Millie to hide, she climbs into his antler. Mudgy then takes off to look for her - not knowing he's carrying her. He trotts all over the town looking for the mouse. There are five bronze statues sprinkled throughout downtown Coeur d'Alene signifiying where Mudgy had stopped to look for Millie. It's supposed to be a 2 1/4 mile trek, but we took a few short cuts because the sun was on it's way down.

1st stop is at Tubbs Hill where Mudgy & Millie were swimming when they decided to play the game.
2nd stop is the library

3rd stop is on Sherman Ave. At every stop Mudgy is asking people if they've seen Millie, and Millie leans over and puts her finger over her mouth motioning shhhh, so they won't tell.

4th stop is the City Park, where Mudgy stops and takes a nap. As he naps Millie plays on the playground and then comes back for a nap herself.

The Illustrations in this book are fantastic, he even draws the towers found on this playground.

5th stop is at Independence Point. Denali carried the book the whole time and it was a fight when anybody else wanted to see it!

The kids standing at Independence Point
8 comments:
How fun! Such a cute little hunt for them. I know what you mean when one of the kids becomes "in charge" of an item or task. I can't believe how much they have grown. Haven't seen them in person since 2001...they were little (and non existant).
That is so fun. sounds like a very fun adventure.
You live in such a neat place. I like the radio flyer slide the shoe tree the moose stuff ect. How fun, I need to come see all the fun stuff up there someday. Your kids are cute as always!
What a great way to bring a book to life for your kids. I'm sure this is a memory they won't forget.
I heard about that book before it even came out. I meant to go to her book signing, but of course forgot!! Ella is asking for her Nali.....are you guys still alive??
Now that's what I call an interactive book...what a great idea!
What a fun little adventure. You guys always do fun things with your kids. What a cute family.
Cute kids, I can't believe all that blonde hair.
Post a Comment